iPod Classic Battery: Thick or Thin?
Unfortunately, there is no distinction in model number between Thick and Thin model iPod Classics. To distinguish between them without opening up your device:
- Locate the Serial # etched on the rear panel of the iPod.
- Go to Apple's Service and Support Coverage Tool and enter your Serial # and Captcha.
- Look at the text under the picture.
- If it reads iPod Classic, then you have the Thick version.
- If it reads iPod Classic (Late 2009), then you have the Thin version.
In the below example, the iPod Classic is a Thick model.